Fairbanks Release November 15, 2022
According to changes to the Texas Medicaid Provider Procedures Manual (TMPPM) School Health and Related Services (SHARS) Handbook, provider requirements for Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) were amended based on direction from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), and the Office of Inspector General (OIG) on behalf of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
As of October 1, 2022, Speech Language Services must be provided by a qualified Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) licensed in the state of Texas. Speech and language services can also be provided by a Licensed SLP intern or a licensed assistant in speech-language pathology acting under the supervision and direction of a licensed SLP.
At a minimum, SHARS SLPs must hold a Texas license to provide Speech and Language services independently, while Licensed SLP Interns and Licensed SLP Assistants may provide services under the supervision and direction of a licensed SLP.
As of October 1, 2022, providers will only have the option of utilizing the following cost pool categories for SLP related services:
- Speech-Language Pathologist – Licensed to provide services independently (SLP) (Including Licensed ASHA and Licensed ASHA-Equivalent SLP)
- Speech-Language Pathologist – Licensed Intern (SLP Intern)
- Speech-Language Pathologist – Licensed Assistant (SLPA)
As a reminder, please refer to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) for further information regarding SLP licensure requirements in the state of Texas. For federal Medicaid speech and language service provisions, please review 42 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) §440.110(c)(2) (i-iii)).
If you have any questions on this change, please contact the Medical and Dental Benefits Policy (MDBP) inbox at:
Speech Language Pathologist Job Category Changes for Random Moment Time Study (RMTS) Participant List (PL):
The participant list for the open January – March (JM23) quarter that closes on December 15, 2022, will have the below job category SLP changes.
If there are staff that were previously assigned to the below job categories, they have now been reassigned as indicated below and will need to be reviewed. Any district that has certified their PL prior to these changes going into effect, will need to review and recertify their participant list, effective November 18, 2022.
- The existing Speech Language Pathologist – Grandfathered Texas Licensed SLPs category will be removed from the Direct Services & Admin Cost Pool to the Admin Only Cost Pool as Speech Language Pathologist – Grandfathered Texas Licensed SLPs (MAC ONLY).
- The existing Speech Language Pathologist – TEA or SBEC Certified category will be removed from the Direct Services & Admin Cost Pool to the Admin Only Cost Pool as Speech Language Pathologist – TEA or SBEC Certified (MAC ONLY).
- The existing category “Speech Language Pathologist – Intern (CFY)” will be renamed to “Speech Language Pathologist – Licensed Intern (SLP Intern)”. The existing categories “Speech Language Pathologist – Licensed ASHA (SLP) and Speech Language Pathologist – Licensed ASHA – Equivalent SLP will be combined and renamed to ” Speech Language Pathologist – Licensed”
If you have any questions regarding the RMTS and participant list changes, you can contact your ONWARD Account Manager via email or through our Client Support toll free line 1-844-843-1596. To contact the HHSC Time Study Dept, they can be emailed at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 737-867-7794.